Thursday, July 13, 2006

Coffee Diaries

Amy and I were in the car one fine Saturday morning, when the need for a latte hit me full force. Usually I can skate by on coffee made at home. I very reasonably tell myself that coffee does not have to cost $3.50 to be good... and then I tremble in a corner thinking about the frothiness of the latte, and how I deserve one, how I long for the cinnamon sprinkled on the froth.... So, this time I decided to forgo the trembling and just cave in to my desire for a latte. $3.50 be damned!

I hopped out of the car at Starbucks (a little too quickly for any shred of dignity to remain) and was skipping toward the door, when I noticed that Amy had gotten out of the car. Curious. Because Amy has a phobia of Starbucks. I can say Grande, Skinny Latte and her eyes glaze over. Yet, she was following me into the store.

Once we got inside and I ordered my Grande, Skinny Latte, Amy was beginning to look a little pale. She managed to stammer something indicating that she would have whatever I had ordered.

Gosh, Ames, I didn't know you liked lattes...? (She looks at me helplessly and staggers toward the door).

We settle back into the car, with our to-go cups with lids (for added safety!), and resume our Saturday morning frivolity. I sip away contentedly on my latte, relishing the cinnamon sprinkles...

Amy: What the hell? How do you ever drink this stuff?
Kik: (coming out of a trance-like state of bliss) Huh? Oh... you don't LIKE it? (sounding rather accusatory)
Amy: Well, it would be fine if I could DRINK it.
Kik: (just looking confused)
Amy: It comes out one drop at a time. It is like drinking my damn coffee out of an eyedropper!
Kik: Um? Amy? You have to suck a little bit on the opening in the lid... you know, to get it to come out....
Amy: (profane profanity inserted) What the HELL?!? I didn't know that! Who knew that?!? How would I know to suck on that?
Kik: Oh dear God.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Last night, Amy and I rode our bikes up to Borders. For coffee. And to read magazines.
The coffee is, again, in to go cups with lids (because we were sitting outside).

Kik: (reading)
Amy: OH MY GOD, I JUST GOT COFFEE IN MY EYE. Coffee, Kik. In my EYE. It just shot right up through the opening in the top of the cup. And went in my EYE. How does that happen?????
Kik: God help me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Although you are a kind soul fo rputting up with me, I insist on pointing out that I realized that one needed to suck on the tiny slit to make the coffee come out. I doubt it would have occured to you that I wouldn't have already been doing that. It only took a few years into my 30s.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Trista said...

Laughing all through this...

2:51 PM  
Blogger Miss Kris said...

Those to-go lids are dangerous! They are eeevil like the fruits of the deeevil.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

Of course you know how to drink coffee Amy. Shame on Kik for thinking otherwise.
I hope your eye has healed.

3:26 PM  
Blogger cocoa said...

this cracked me the hell up.

my dog is thumping her tail because I am laughing so hard.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - that was the funniest visual I have ever had from your blog (which I confess I've been away from it for awhile - no reason, just life!) Yes, sip cups are just that sippy, sippy!!! :) Oh my - the tears and laughter are still flowing - hoey hoey hoey~~~~

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sublime said...

hahaha that was so funny!! sorry Amy :-)

12:23 PM  
Blogger betsy said...

still laughing like hell readng this (again)

and i LOVE when anonymous posters give themselves away (hoey hoey hoey)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Why is everyone laughing? My eye hurts...ow.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web hit counter