Thursday, July 20, 2006

Are You Down with G-O-D?!?

Today, I got a call from the Director of All Things Bible Study at my church. He asked if I wanted to lead a Disciple I Bible Study course. Stop laughing. Okay, it really isn't that funny. DUDE, stop laughing so I can tell you the story!

I am incredibly flattered that he asked me to lead this class (I would be leading it with one or two other folks). And when I say flattered, I mean... well, I just mean flattered, alright? This is exactly the kind of opportunity I was looking for when I joined this church. And what makes this opportunity even more significant is that he contacted me because the facilitators from the class I took last year gave me rave reviews. These are some of the most intelligent, introspective Christians I know. That they think that highly of me ... well, let's just say that this is more of an ego-boost that I could ever have hoped for.

But I can't do it. I can't teach the class.

I am trying to change jobs, and I just don't know where I am going to land. I have no concept of what my schedule will be, what the demands on my time will be. Hell, I don't even know where I will be WORKING (let's just hope it isn't a job where every interaction with a customer ends with, "Would you like to Super Size that?"). And I can't take on this type of responsibility and flake out. I would never forgive myself for that. So I had to pass it up.

But the GOOD news is that I think I WILL be teaching a short- term class (8 weeks, as opposed to 32 weeks) at some point this Fall. This is just the push I needed in my spiritual life, which had been lagging of late. Funny how God seems to know these sorts of things, no?

And, for the record, all of that laughing you were doing earlier about me leading Bible Study ... Just because I drink and can throw a dirty word or two around doesn't mean I do not have a rich faith that is incredibly meaningful to me.

C'mon, admit it... you KNOW I would be a bad ass Bible Study leader, don't you? That's right!

2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Hmmm ..... so that thing about "If I never puke again ....."????

And about the drinking & dirty words ... how many people envision nuns as writing fake attorney ads for barf bags? Just keep breaking the stereotypes -- then people might realize that we're not ALL wackos.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Nate said...

hi, i'm a wacko and a Christian at the same time. i just happened across your page accidentally (and sorry if i'm being unbearably invasive) when i was looking for the music to "I Wonder as I Wander".

so yeah this is just a hello and a God bless and guide from some guy you'll never meet in England

you can tell me to get lost on: nathan_notforsaken@hotmail.com

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web hit counter