Thursday, June 22, 2006

Uh, Can I Help You? Uh, PLEASE?

Jezebel and I have a rather special relationship. She was a Christmas present from my then-girlfriend. I had wanted a boxer for several years. Then, Christmas of 2000, one just waddled my way (out of our roommate's bedroom where she had been hidden). I have been in love with Jezebel (or Jedda, or Jed, or Jeddapoohpoohhead) ever since.

Now, I am not saying our relationship has been without its problems. There was that 6 month spell where I went NUTS after said girlfriend and I split up. Jed seems to have forgiven me for it, though (as have most of my friends). And it wasn't easy on Jed when Amy and I started dating: Uh, Mom, WHY can't I sleep on your head anymore? Yes, there was a lot of sighing from Jed when Amy and I got together (she is prone to sighing... um, Jed not Amy). But she has warmly embraced Amy as her Second Mom since then.

But I digress (but you couldn't even TELL I was digressing, could you?!?). Jed and I have a favorite game. I hide under the comforter and talk to her. She promptly loses her mind and paws at my head, trying to dig me out (at least I know if I fell in a well and then there was an avalanche, she would know what to do). It is a fun, albeit rather painful, game. Except that now, every time I duck my head for any reason she finds it necessary to paw at my head. Not so fun all the time.

Last night I put Jed and Milo outside, so that I could do some stretches. As soon as Jed saw me stretch out toward my feet and put my head down... pawing at the door. Like a maniac. Head down: (Paw. Paw. Paw.) Wait! I have to rescue my mom! She's...
Head up:
Oh yeah, uh she's okay now. I was wor...
Head down:
(Paw. Paw. Paw.) Wait! Uh, apparently my mom needs me! Uh, hello?!?

And so it went for quite some time. And you know what? It was funny EVERY TIME. It's the small things in life folks, the small things.

Poor Jedda.

4 Comments:

Blogger Estelle said...

You are so mean.

Wally goes crazy if Charlie is on the floor. He has to be right beside him and protect him.

So AJ puts food in the dog bowl and then puts Charlie on the floor. And Wally goes nuts... eat, or protect the baby?

3:17 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:19 PM  
Blogger WordsRock said...

Adorable dogs. Fun game, the digging out of mommy's head!

I'm gonna go try talking from under the covers and see how our dogs react. :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

That is hysterical, Kik--i can totally see it! Jed is somethin' special, that's for sure. :)

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web hit counter