Wednesday, May 24, 2006

DONKEY!

I really thought that we would NEVER get everything pulled together for our ceremony this Saturday... but lo and behold, our ducks just may be in a row!
********

Did I ever tell you about the fuss Amy put up about registering somewhere for the wedding? It goes kind of like this...

Amy has lived in her house for approximately three and a half years. I moved in with her almost two years ago. As such, we have most of the things that folks just getting married might need for their new home. So, Amy thought it foolish and a bit presumptuous to register somewhere.

We discussed this and agreed that we most certainly did not want folks to feel compelled to bring a gift to our ceremony. To get that point across, we included a line at the bottom of our invitation stating that we consider the attendees' presence their gift to us and no other gifts are necessary.

So, when I bought up the need to register somewhere, Amy balked. No, no, no. She wasn't having it. We said we didn't want gifts. So on and so forth.

This became a point of contention for MONTHS. Even when Debbie, Amy's close friend from college, told her we needed to register. Even when the first thing that the women from my Bible study class asked was where we were registered. Amy was STILL fussing.

This is where my logic and Amy's delicate sensibilities had a major collision. I wanted to register because I KNOW some people want to bring gifts. I also know that some folks have never been to our home. They don't know our tastes. They have no idea what we need or would want as an addition to our home. So, it is only fair to provide some guidance via a registry.

Otherwise, we could end up with 20 toasters. Or, even worse, multiple donkey cigarette dispensers. This was just a risk we could not take. So, while I was at work.... I got online and registered us. (gasp!)

Now, I know this seems a bit underhanded. And, normally I am not underhanded at all. But this HAD TO BE DONE. And I went home and told her right away. And she pulled up the site and looked at what I had picked out. AND IT WASN'T THAT BAD. The only thing that got her goat was the spoon rest "we" registered for.

But I needed a spoon rest.

10 Comments:

Blogger Miss Kris said...

Horray! We can get you a coffee maker that doesn't overflow when you want to make a full pot (Seattle style)!

So_Excited! We get to see you in just TWO DAYS!!!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I hope someone decides to go off list and go with the donkey cigarette dispensers. Those things are great.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Sara Roboubi said...

so where are you registered?

8:08 PM  
Blogger Kiker said...

Oh, Sara, Sara, Sara....

You have to email me to find out that type of information. ;) Amy would kill me for sharing it with the internets.

8:54 AM  
Blogger betsy said...

so exactly how many donkey cig dispensers DO you want? and aren't the things gross enough without smoking ones that are ejected from an ass's ass?

eh hem, please excuse the profanity. it was so necessary in this instance ;)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Estelle said...

And if anyone DARES to buy them the spoon rest, they will FACE MY WRATH!!!

I swear I don't have a mental block against this. My dog really did eat it. I promise.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Man, if I wasn't dealing with monastic poverty .... I would SO get you a bunch of those donkey things!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Sublime said...

Hahahaha I want a Donkey ever since I saw the one Ellen has on her talk show set.

Tomorrow is the BIG day!! how exciting!!!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Congratulations- may God bless the two of you- have a great life together
I hope you enjoy your big day

5:10 PM  
Blogger Lorem ipsum said...

Congratulations to you and Amy! Many happy years!

*sniff*

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web hit counter