Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Jesus Loves Me. No, Really. He Does.

I joined Hyde Park United Methodist Church this past Sunday. Now, I never thought I would join a church. I am not really a joiner. Seems too conformist, you know? But I love this church. And if you talk to me for more than two seconds, you are going to hear me gush about the friendliness of the congregation, the wonderful social justice work they do, yada, yada, yada. And, even though I had to go through a seven week class (which is no match for my dorkiness, but I hate being told that I HAVE to go to a class), I was really hyped about my Sunday Church Joining Thingie.

But... If you know me, you also know that I am always running late. Always. For everything. And this was no exception. (But see, I set my alarm. I did. And then I thought I was wide awake, and I turned it off. But I didn't MEAN to oversleep. Surely you can relate? No? Hmmm)

Amy (Amy who NEVER goes to church) and I were speeding toward church (forgive me God, for I have sped) at 9:35. Which would be fine. Except church starts at 9:30. And then...stuck at every stoplight. EVERY one. We parked at 9:41. Amy is livid at this point. She hates being late. Hates. it. Unfortunately, I don't think she has mentioned that in the past two and a half years. But this morning, oh this morning, mention it she did. Several times.

But back to the point at hand: 9:41 and we are finally at church. I open the door to the sanctuary and can tell they have begun the induction of new members. So, do I slink into the back row? Heck, no! I walk right up the center aisle, with Amy in tow, and sit in the second row. Look, kids, I HAD to. What if they had already called my name? If I walked up the aisle, I was sure Magrey would see me and make sure I got called up. Or at least that was my thought in my moment of panic.

So, Ames and I sat down. And they called my name literally less than a minute later. I bounce up to the front of the church, all pleased with myself. Amy is just shaking her head the entire time.

When I sat back down after being inducted into their club (as Amy says), Ames looked at me incredulously and said, "Jesus really DOES love you, doesn't He?" And I must say that this past Sunday morning goes down on my list as reason number 3219 that I know Jesus loves me.

7 Comments:

Blogger betsy said...

oh that's a riot... classic kik. classic amy (particularly the final comment).

12:13 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

I am so proud.
Now when I go there, and I fill out the little form, I can say I was invited by a member.
That is, if your church does the little forms.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Apparently He does love you and has a soft spot for lateness.

Concerning my not mentioning my aversion to lateness -- one might consider the time we sat in a theater for 30 minutes before the little slide show came on...

2:11 PM  
Blogger AmyA said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog awhile know, found it through Estelle. Wanted to let you know how refreshing it is to read about someone who knows the unconditional love of the Lord. Congrats to you!!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Of course, Jesus loves us nunly-types more than the rest of you. But you knew that already, right? :-)

And I'm TOTALLY with you on the "Who needs an alarm clock when I'm so wide awakzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzohshit!"

6:57 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Good for you, Kik. i can see it right now!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Well if you are late to evertything now, just wait until you have a baby, and plan on your lateness increasing by 5. We are always late, I just tell people taht we run on baby time :-) And of course Jesus loves you, what's not to love:)

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web hit counter