Friday, September 30, 2005

Wanderlust

I remember the first time I ever met my little sister. Really, who gets to remember that? But I do. As clearly as if it was yesterday. I woke up. I was mad because Mama wasn't there. I talked to her on the phone. And THEN, Daddy and I went to see them. And this sister they had promised me (what is a SISTER by the way) was simply amazing. I think that when I have my own child, I will behold him or her in the same wonder I held my baby sister. To think... something that beautiful was MY sister...

There is a picture of the first time I held her. I don't know how my mother ever let that leave her house. But I have it. And the love, and the awe, is so apparent that I think I should imprint it on my skin... because I still feel that same awe every time I look at her.

There have been so many times that child has saved me from myself. Saved me because my love for her was greater than anything else I knew. She is why I am not afraid to have a child. I have loved so greatly... and she still loves me.

She is in Europe now. And I know she wants to stay there... at least for a while. She won't right now. But I have known for years (since the first time she was there), that she wants to live there. I have fought that. Because I can't imagine my daily existence without her.

But what she really needs to know... is that my love for her could bridge any ocean.

I love you, Angie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks a lot for making me cry, Kik! You are both so lucky to have each other. Love like that doesn't exist just anywhere...

11:15 AM  
Blogger Miss Kris said...

You are such a big sap!
(so am I because reading that made me all teary-eyed)

5:36 PM  
Anonymous ilisa said...

Who the heck let Angie go to Europe without us?! Thanks, Kik, now I'm teary-eyed. I don't have a sister (now I really want one!) but I had that same feeling the first time I held my nephew. I was 13. I'm amazed that he just turned 13 ... time truly flies.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn ... i love you, too. i miss you so much ... can't wait to see you soon and spend time with you.
love,
your baby sister

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web hit counter