Friday, September 09, 2005

Campus Dining

Since I work at USF, my options for food at lunchtime are rather limited. Either I walk somewhere on campus, or I risk losing my mind as a steady stream of students walk in front of my car to cross the street... apparently oblivious to the fact that I could obliterate them with one swift tap on the gas pedal. Most times I opt to keep my composure (and not risk being locked away permanently) and I just go somewhere on campus.

Now, the problem with that decision is that my choices are severely limited. Next door there is a Buger King. DANGER. I don't admit it often, but I like fast food. And I would eat a fried chicken tender sandwich from Burger King (with fries and a Diet Coke) with shocking frequency, if I wasn't afraid of a) becoming as large as a single family home or b) having a heart attack by the age of 30. Since neither of those options appeal to me, I rarely allow myself the pleasure of indulging in Burger King.

There is a Subway slightly farther. But I kid you not, it is the WORST SUBWAY in the history of Subway. Everything tastes frozen. The bread is either under cooked or a tad stale. They don't even look at your sandwich as they make it. The world comes to a screeching halt if you ask for more tomoatoes. And GOD FORBID you want extra cheese. After my last experience there (it was the stale bread adventure), I have studiously avoided Subway.

Which leaves me with option number three: Einstein's Bagels. Now, I love a bagel. And I love a sandwhich. So what could be better than a sandwich ON a bagel. Or a sandwich on a Challah roll. (It kind of sounds like you are trying to cough up a hairball when you say Challah. Go on.. you know you want to try it out...) So I often opt to wander over to Einstein's. This is good for several reasons. First, it is in the Marshall Center, which is halfway across campus. So it is quite a jaunt. And I never should have been a 9 to 5 office worker, so I jump at the chance for the stroll over. Second, I don't think I am going to slip into cardiac arrest after I eat there. And did I mention that the sandwich can come ON a bagel?

But here's the rub: They don't give you an option of a side. You are supposed to get a choice of fruit, potato salad or chips when you order a sandwich. It is a RULE. It happens at every other Einstein's. But no, not at the one on USF's campus. So, although my Club Mex (heh) was simply lovely, now I am STARVING. And it is only 4 p.m. And all because I was sans fruit cup. Because I can't drive to the Einstein's across the street because of the student issue (see above).

And these, my friends, are the trials and tribulations of being me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to help
Last updated: September 07. 2005 7:17PM Helpful web links Web connections for information and storm help Making donations Network for Good maintains a list of links to numerous charities and has a special page ...
Hello, just surfing the bolg sites. Landed on yours. Nice effort, like the layout, will check back soon.
I have a affirmations site. It is all to do with affirmations related things.
Check it out if you find the time :-)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

mmmm, Einsteins...i miss their whipped cream cheese (generally, accompanied by a large coffee or soda hung over in ATL). :)

by the way, don't you HATE those spam posts like the one above?

8:58 AM  
Blogger betsy said...

mmm... einstein's. everything bagel. doesn't matter what you throw on it. DeLiCiOuS!

and amanda ... i know those days well ;) good times.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web hit counter